Subject: Re: Very basic version command
From: Barry Demchak <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Barry Demchak <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:52:37 -0700

Thanks, Igor --

I have not yet been able to make cygcheck work, but I did find out about 
the pkg-config command. This command uses the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment 
variable to find the library information for a particular library. That 
path identifies a directory full of .po files. There is a .po file for each 
library. So, if you know the library name, the pkg-config command would be 
something like pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 ... and out comes all of the 
cool metadata in command line format all ready to feed into g++.

And then the trick is to track down the precise name for the library of 
interest. I did that by scanning for all of the .po files, and then 
figuring out the name of the library I was really interested in. In my 
case, for librsvg, it is librsvg-2.0. So, here's what I did and what I got:

$ pkg-config --cflags librsvg-2.0
-I/usr/local/include/librsvg-2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0

OK OK ... so as far as getting the version, I guess that the version is 
encoded in the name, which I found by scanning the .po files.

Anything is easy once we already know the answer.

Woof.

I'm guessing that cygcheck couldn't work for librsvg because it's not a 
cygwin library and not in the cygwin registry ... a naive guess ... maybe 
it's right??

Thanks.

At 03:31 PM 9/5/2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Barry Demchak wrote:
>
> > Hi, all --
> >
> > Sorry for submitting something so silly.
> >
> > Question: What is the command for finding out the version of a library
> > installed on Cygwin?
>
>It's easy to find out the version of an official Cygwin package that
>supplies a given library.  If you know the name of the package (say,
>"libfoo"), simply run "cygcheck -cd libfoo".  If you don't know the
>package that supplies it, but know the name of the library (say,
>/usr/lib/libfoo.a), run "cygcheck -f /usr/lib/libfoo.a" -- it will tell
>you both the package and the version.
>
> > I'm trying to find out what version of the librsvg library I'm using.
>
>AFAICS, there is no librsvg in the cygwin distribution.  If it was a typo,
>the above recipe should work for the actual library name.  If you actually
>do have a librsvg on your machine, I don't know of a general way to do
>what you want.
>HTH,
>         Igor
>--
>                                 http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_                [email-masked]
>ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_            [email-masked]
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'           Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL     a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
>If there's any real truth it's that the entire multidimensional infinity
>of the Universe is almost certainly being run by a bunch of maniacs. /DA
>
>--
>Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/