Subject: Re:JNI and cygwin
From: "Martin Dorey" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:40:08 -0700

> I need terminal and ncurses support and I have a JNI
> layer that interacts with "curses" functions.

Me too (for http://www.jessies.org/~enh/software/terminator/).

> I have problems using the cygwin libraries with Java
> VM.

I had problems too - probably the same ones.  They're discussed at:

http://elliotth.blogspot.com/2005/08/porting-jni-code-to-win32-with-cygw
in.html 

The solution I found was to launch the JVM from a cygwin-compiled
executable.  After proving the concept using the source for Sun's
java.exe (which I don't think I'd be allowed to redistribute), I rolled
my own under the GPL.  As mentioned in Elliott's blog, the source is
buried in:

http://www.jessies.org/~enh/software/salma-hayek/salma-hayek.tgz

I was impressed to find that fork()ing the JVM works.  All of our
existing JNI source "just worked": Unix98 pts support, process groups,
window size change notification ioctls, everything.  The only thing we
had to change was (to include windows.h) to define __int64 for the
benefit of Sun's jni_md.h.  I was a bit sad to see from google that
no-one's writing JNI to take advantage of all the hard work the Cygwin
contributors have put in.
-------------------------------------
Martin's Outlook, BlueArc Engineering

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/