Subject: Re: readline completion
From: [email-masked] (Eric Blake)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:53:24 +0000

> pathname completion in bash (implemented using readline) does not work
> with woe32 pathnames:
> this does not work:
> $ ls c:/ <TAB>
> this works:
> $ ls /cygdrive/c/ <TAB>
> 
> is it possible to fix this?
> 

Possible? Yes.  Likely to happen?  Depends on whether I ever get
time to look at it, or if someone beats me to it by providing a patch.
Also, which version of bash and readline are you using?  bash-3.0-11
introduced the notion of c: being an absolute path to the bash
internals; maybe I need to find where readline also needs to be
taught that fact.  Also, readline 5.1 and bash 3.1 are in alpha, so
the fix might not appear until those go mainstream.

One other thing to consider - by default, filename completion breaks
words at the : character (useful for completing assignments to PATH,
among others).  So do yourself a favor, and get used to a /cygdrive
style pathname, rather than the c: prefix.  And if it is too many
characters to type, change your cygdrive prefix to /.  '/c' is just as many
characters as 'c:', but more unix-y:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2005-08/msg00017.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2005-08/msg00019.html

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin readline maintainer

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/