Subject: Re: $OS vs `uname -s` [Attn: base-files maintainer]
From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
To: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:26:23 -0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Blake <[email-masked]> writes:
    Eric> PLEASE fix your mailer to send valid mail.  It was difficult
    Eric> to see what you were asking, because your MIME settings are
    Eric> incorrect, and correct mailers only saw a blank message.

  Hmm. Please send me what you received (uuencode it), so I can have
GNUS and/or gmane.org fixed. (This email you sent directly to me, so you
are getting a different mail system replying)

    >> I only ask because my Makefiles from Unix would prefer to have
    >> $OS either not set, or be equal to uname -s. Is there a reason
    >> why these things differ?  (My Makefile's will get changed to
    >> cope...)

    Eric> If your setup is like mine, OS is an inherited environment
    Eric> variable, set by Windows before bash is even started.  You can
    Eric> set it to whatever you like.  Meanwhile, uname -s is not
    Eric> affected by the environment (you really don't want an
    Eric> environment variable changing the uname output).  Hmm, maybe
    Eric> we should update /etc/profile to do OS=`uname -s`.  Thoughts?

  Hmm. It didn't occur that $OS was from NT. Good point.
  I will just be avoiding $OS, and use another name. 

  I think that OS=`uname -s` is a reasonable thing to do. 

- -- 
] Michael Richardson          Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON |  firewalls  [
] mcr @ xelerance.com           Now doing IPsec training, see   |net architect[
] http://www.sandelman.ca/mcr/    www.xelerance.com/training/   |device driver[
]                    I'm a dad: http://www.sandelman.ca/lrmr/                 [

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/