Subject: Re: is there a cygwin maintainer for gnu emacs?
From: "emacs user" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:18:20 -0400

I guess my question as a fairly naive user is who will bedoing that GC 
debugging.  I am happy to check things in gdb following instructions from 
one of you experts...

>From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:37:43 -0400
> > From: Joe Buehler <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> >
> > I would think that emacs would say why it is aborting.
>
>When GC encounters a fatal inconsistency in the Emacs data structures,
>it is generally unsafe to say anything, since that could easily cause
>a nested fatal signal.
>
> > Is there an expert on the emacs internals that would care to comment
> > on what this abort might mean?
>
>I'm not sure I'm such an expert on this, but the file etc/DEBUG has a
>special section on debugging crashes inside GC.  I don't think there's
>a general recipe, one just needs to follow the advice in etc/DEBUG and
>find out the corrupted data structure.  Once the bad data structure is
>found, the next step is to trace its life cycle and find what piece of
>code corrupted it.

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/