Subject: Re: is there a cygwin maintainer for gnu emacs?
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:56:02 +0300

> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:37:43 -0400
> From: Joe Buehler <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I would think that emacs would say why it is aborting.

When GC encounters a fatal inconsistency in the Emacs data structures,
it is generally unsafe to say anything, since that could easily cause
a nested fatal signal.

> Is there an expert on the emacs internals that would care to comment
> on what this abort might mean?

I'm not sure I'm such an expert on this, but the file etc/DEBUG has a
special section on debugging crashes inside GC.  I don't think there's
a general recipe, one just needs to follow the advice in etc/DEBUG and
find out the corrupted data structure.  Once the bad data structure is
found, the next step is to trace its life cycle and find what piece of
code corrupted it.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/