Subject: Re: Apache with mod_perl up and running
From: Harald Joerg <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:37:50 +0200

Gerrit P. Haase writes:

> Harald Joerg wrote:
>
>>    We already know that - for archeological reasons - mod_perl's DSO
>>    library happens to have the same file name as perl's, eh?  Here's
>>    a place where this *really* bit me.
>
> Oh yeah, I cannot believe that they don't change the name.  If someone
> has a nice workaround to add to perlld to handle this issue with
> mod_perl, feel free to contact me.

How about being a bit more "positive" when checking for perl?  The
following patch tests whether the dll being built contains an object
called 'perl.o' (would we have to check $(OBJ_EXT)?  I hope not -
perlld is cygwin and cygwin has '.o'):

--- /usr/bin/perlld.orig        2005-08-05 11:06:27.041388400 +0200
+++ /usr/bin/perlld     2005-08-05 11:07:23.288868400 +0200
@@ -49,5 +49,5 @@
   my $v_e_r_s = substr("5.8.7",0,-2);
   $v_e_r_s =~ tr/./_/;
-  if ( $dllname =~ /libperl.*/) { 
+  if ( $dllname =~ /libperl.*/  &&  $args =~ /\bperl\.o\b/) { 
     $dllname ="cygperl$v_e_r_s.dll";
   } else {

I admit that I have not yet rebuilt perl with this perlld -
but mod_perl now takes the perlld step without being renamed.

P.S.: In the meantime I managed to compile mod_auth_kerb as well,
linking against /usr/bin/libhttpd as you recommended.  So my mod_perl
deviation had its merits :-)

P.P.S.: In my "success story" about mod_perl I forgot to mention that
I had to run rebaseall to get the server running.

P.P.P.S.: Ah, yes, and I had to re-install emacs because it got stuck
in an endless loop immediately after starting (consuming 100% CPU)
after the rebaseall.
-- 
Cheers,
haj

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/