Subject: RE: heap_chunk_in_mb default value (Was Re: perl - segfault on "free unused scalar")
From: "Stephan Mueller" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Krzysztof Duleba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:23:44 -0700

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

" (I wrote:)
" > End result is that the perl internal representation in the example
above
" > probably only needs about 200MB of space, and not double that, as
" > suggested.
"
" Umm, that was unclear from the description on the perlunicode manpage.
" That, combined with Perl actually taking up 500M of memory with one
string
" of 200,000,000 characters, led me to believe that Perl uses UCS-2
" internally.
" 
" Do you have another explanation for the doubled memory consumption?
" 	Igor

The admittedly old perl pages (perl 5.6) I have handy right now include
the
following near the top of the perlunicode page.  I strongly doubt this
has
changed in 5.8.

  Byte and Character semantics

    Beginning with version 5.6, Perl uses logically wide characters to
    represent strings internally. This internal representation of
strings
    uses the UTF-8 encoding.

I've also found text suggesting the same in Chapter 15 of the Camel
book.

Unfortunately, I don't have another explanation for the doubled memory
consumption.

stephan();

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/