Subject: Re: [perl-5.8.7] Perl regression tests fail when lib directory is present
From: Andrew Ho <[email-masked]>
To: Michael G Schwern <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gerrit P. Haase" <[email-masked]>, Scott Bolte <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:27:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

As the original instigator of this thread, maybe I can help continue its 
usefulness. I think the current consensus is as follows:

     * This all has nothing at all to do with with ExtUtils::MakeMaker
       (so I have removed that list from the Cc list).

     * There is nothing intrinsically wrong with what Test::Harness is
       doing, although its recent change (in version 2.44) was what
       triggered the Perl/Cygwin bug we have discovered.

     * We have a current workaround for the Test::Harness breakage
       (roll back Test::Harness to 2.42, or edit Test::Harness::Straps
       to change the "local $ENV{PERL5LIB}" to something like
       "local $ENV{PERL5LIB} = ''".

     * For at least Perl 5.8.7 on Cygwin, delete()ing an environment
       variable does not apparently remove that variable from the
       environment of a subprocess. Scott Bolte provided a repro case:

                 #!/usr/bin/perl
                 use strict;
                 use warnings;

                 $ENV{SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN} = "hello world";
                 delete($ENV{SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN});
                 system("printenv | grep SHOULD_NEVER_BE_SEEN");

       On Unix systems this script appropriately prints nothing.
       On an up to date Cygwin installation this prints "hello world".

So I think the next step is to figure out who can help look at that latter 
problem. Is there a bug I or someone else should file somewhere?

Humbly,

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Ho                                      [email-masked]
Staff Engineer                                      650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.                     http://www.tellme.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/