Subject: 1.5.18: I give up...
From: "David Masterson" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:39:40 -0700

Well, I've tried to install the latest version of Cygwin from
mirrors.kernel.org onto my Windows-XP (SP2) system several times now without
much luck.  I'm pretty sure (based on previous usage and all the other people
using it) that its a problem in my environment, but I don't know what.  I'm
wasting too much time to try to solve this, so I'll have to look for another
way.  My goal was to install the Cygwin X server so that I could display X
programs from other systems locally.  Along the way, I ran into a number of
issues (minor to large) that I'll mention here:

*	I chose to use setup.exe (v2.457.2.2) to download everything to a
local directory and then install my choices (usually everything) from the
local directory.  This generally works well and I have no problems with the
process, but...
*	At my work, I have to use a proxy server with (I guess) a weird port
number.  Although I filled this information into setup.exe and it worked fine
with it, setup forgot the port number on subsequent runs (it fell back to
port 80).
*	When looking at the categorized list of things to select to install,
I would expand a category by clicking on the "+".  Most systems would change
the "+" to a "-", but not setup.exe (a very minor issue).
*	After installing everything, if I couldn't get X to work properly
(see below), I would immediately use setup.exe to uninstall everything.
While doing the uninstall of some packages, setup.exe would report missing
DLL(s), but it didn't give an indication of what to do about it (other than
acknowledge the error).
*	After I installed everything and had modified my /etc/passwd and
/etc/group, I tried to bring up the X server via /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh.
It brought up the X server and tried to bring up the xterm, but the xterm
died before it finished printing my prompt.  I've posted about this before,
but no replies to this and I haven't got the time to do the serious debugging
necessary.
*	Previously with 1.5.17, the xterm did come up properly, but Emacs
(started locally or remotely) would immediately fail.  XEmacs (started
locally or remotely) would seem to work until you tried to exit and then
would crash.

I guess I'll give Cygwin some time to "mature" and come back to it in the
future.

----
David Masterson

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/