Subject: Re: autoconf problem on cygwin
From: Stephen & Linda Smith <[email-masked]>
To: Charles Wilson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:07:51 -0700

Actually, checking the output of the makefile/configure would not have
helped me.  The reason is that I and a few of my coworkers use
aclocal/autoconf in maintaining some software packages.  When I upgraded
Cygwin (admittedly the last Cygwin we were using is 2 years old), one of
the things that I needed to check is that the development tools still
work for us.  Therefore, I wasn't trying to rebuid a configure for a
cygwin package but one that I maintain.

Secondly, how was I to know that running setalternatives for automake
would solve the problem. After all as far as I could tell the problem
was with autoconf.  I didn't expect the problem to be in a different
package than the one that appeared to have a problem.

The version that I have been told to specify is the oldest in the list
for automake and I was runing an autoconf command.  What should have
clued me that I would have to set the version to the oldest automake in
the list?

The reason I asked the question "... how was I to know ..." was so that
I would know how to diagnose the problem.  

Either way, I do want to thank you and Larry for your answers.  They
were both helpful.  I haven't tried the suggested solution yet but plan
on doing so tomorrow morning.

sps

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 16:09 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Larry Hall wrote:
> 
> > Is this a question?  Is it rhetorical?  If not, I would say that 
> > searching the email archives is always a good way to find out if others
> > have seen a problem you're having.
> 
> I think what sps was saying was, how was he supposed to know that he 
> needed to be using automake-1.4 in the first place. 
> ...<snip>...
> But you would NOT, unfortunately, find any mention of the actual release 
> of the new autotool packages, because with all the new packages I 
> released last month, I forgot to actually announce the new autotools. 
> This is definitely my fault.  I'll correct that later this evening.
> 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/