Subject: Re: ssh problems
From: Larry Hall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:53:37 -0400

At 01:29 AM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
>> On Jul 20, Larry Hall wrote:
>> > At 03:10 AM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
>> > >
>> > >It did run into permission problems -- the /etc/ssh* keys were not
>> > >readable.  Looks like chowning them didn't help at all.  Finally, I
>> > >resorted to removeing them and re-runnning ssh-host-config to
>> > >regenerate.  Now running sshd directly works, but trying it through
>> > >cygrunsrv still has the same problem...
>> >
>> > Hm, this may be getting to the time where you need to try strace or
>> > build a debug version of cygrunsrv and run gdb on it.
>>
>> I didn't think of stracing cygrunsrv...  Building a debug version
>> sounds like yet more work in an area I don't have much experience
>> with.
>
>Try running sshd from a SYSTEM-owned shell (Google for "cygwin
>system-owned shell").

That's going back to where we started actually.  His original problem 
was that ssh was bombing out on him when he was running it as part of
his build environment with pubkey authentication.  Password authentication
worked.  The theory was that the build environment needed a
Windows authenticated user, which is why we started down the path of 
running sshd as a service under his ID.  For some reason, he's finding
he cannot start sshd using his ID with cygrunsrv.  See the thread for
details.  But essentially he's at the point here that would be synonymous
with being able to a run typical installation of sshd from the SYSTEM-owned 
shell but not from cygrunsrv.  So if that sparks any ideas from you, I'm 
sure Eli would like to hear them. :-)

>> > I'm not sure what's holding you back now...
>>
>> Mainly the fact that I'm fine with starting my own sshd, even if its
>> manual.  (I'll try a quick strace.)
>
>I don't recall the whole thread, but have you tried "chmod 666
>/var/log/sshd.log"?

Well, a variant.  I told him to chown this to be his ID.  But maybe it
makes sense to just loosen the perms on all the affected files.  At this
point, it can't hurt. ;-)

--
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746                     

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/