Subject: Re: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
From: Arthur I Schwarz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:29:18 -0700

>Can anybody diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance /r?

I have continuous problems installing. Setup ungracefully crashes when
either an install is attempted on a file not downloaded or if the setup.ini
has an unresolvable reference. Hence I have a strategy to installing. If
all else fails:

1. Go to the registry and delete all entries to 'cygwin' and 'cygnus' and
'red hat' if appropriate.
2. I always save the old cygwin (C:/cygwin -> C:/cygwin.old), and
3. Create a new cygwin root (C:/cygwin), and then
4. Do a reinstall.

Occassionally setup will corrupt the installation so that it is
unrecoverable - which seems to be what you are experiencing. Repeat above.

I've tried to identify and fix setup errors but can't seem to get it
compiled and linked. So I gave up. But there does appear to be some
ungraceful coding in setup - and lest I get flamed - Cygwin and the Cygwin
staff to a person seem excellent.

art

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/