Subject: Gdb and stopping at assert or segmentation faults
From: "Kris Thielemans" <[email-masked]>
To: "Gnuwin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Kris Thielemans'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:57:33 +0100

Hi

I need to debug a program that throws up an assert(). On Linux, I'm used to
be able to run the program in gdb, and when the assert happens, the program
stops (in the assert function) and I can do a back trace (e.g. info stack).
On cygwin on the other hand, I just get the assert message, and then gdb
says "Program exited normally". No backtrace possible.

The same difference in behaviour between Linux and cygwin with segmentation
faults. It would be incredibly useful to be able to see where the
segmentation fault happened after the crash.

Anyone knows how to change this behaviour on cygwin?

Many thanks

Kris Thielemans
Hammersmith Imanet Ltd

PS: please reply-all such that I get your reply directly in my box as I read
this list via the mail archive.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/