Subject: Portable Cygwin on 4.7 GB DVD
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:46:21 +0100

There have been various posts about using Cygwin on portable devices both
writeable and un-writeable, e.g. CDs, USB sticks, USB drives. In the first
case, and except for high capacity sticks, the Cygwin installation would
have to be cut down to fit.

A DVD will support the complete installation, at least in respect of size.
However, all attempts to build such a DVD have failed for me in Windows
(Nero) and in Fedora and Mandrake. The (my) version of Nero sophisticated
enough to address DVDs seems to lack the useful and informative error
messaging of earlier versions, but I think it's to do with the path length
of the most outlying Cygwin files. The longest pathname that I can find is
126 characters long (there are several of these). The might also be a
consequence of ?number of nested branches or ?properties of the filename
rather then the pathname.

Has anybody else tried to do this (build a DVD) with Cygwin or some other
large resource, and experienced similar difficulties? Do you recognise the
problem? Is there a solution?

Thank you.

Fergus  

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/