Subject: Bad links, esp. /bin/csh -> tcsh
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 09:58:09 +0100

Following (I think?) the recent update of tcsh the link
	/bin/csh -> tcsh
points to a file that no longer exists. (Typing csh gives "bash: csh:
command not found".)

Incidentally by the rather sledgehammer approach of

	find / -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum > file0 2> file1

it's possible to identify 111 bad links altogether. Approx 40 of these
(mainly in /bin/) are of the form {pathto}/name1 -> {pathto}/name2 where
actually the target file is {pathto}/name2.exe, so I guess are not strictly
wrong, in that they'll work even though the target file does not exist.

Another 55 are in /usr/share/doc/doxygen-1.4.2_20050421/examples/ and are
plain wrong (nonexistent targets).

Also 4 in /usr/share/man/de/man1/ are wrong because gslp.1 does not exist.
There are minor others including /usr/share/man/mf.1 and
/usr/share/man1/mf-nowin.1, both having non-existent targets.

Because of the virtual creation of /usr/bin/ other links that don't work
from /bin/, do work from /usr/bin/, and so are not I suppose strictly wrong.
(Conversely the link /usr/bin/pidof -> ../sbin/killall5.exe doesn't work
from /usr/bin/ but does work from /bin/.) Similarly the virtual creation of
/usr/lib/ makes some things work that otherwise would fail.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/