Subject: RE: tail -f and pipes with bash shell
From: "Peter Ekberg" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lev Bishop" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 02:13:44 +0200

Lev Bishop wrote:
> Try "grep --line-buffered" to get grep to flush output after every
> line. There is a performance penalty for doing this. I don't know why
> you don't see the buffering when grep's stdout isn't redirected.
> Perhaps grep (or the std library) removes/reduces buffering in the
> case the output is a terminal.
> 
> Lev

Yes, that works for this slimed down example, but probably not for
the real work, as that includes several other commands that do
not all have a --line-buffered equivalent. Thanks for you time
though.

I'll drop this now, it's getting more complex than the task
deserves. I can get by as is...

Cheers,
Peter

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/