Subject: Re: mkdir -p and network drives
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:49:00 -0400

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 09:35:53AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
>Eric Blake <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> //MACHINE currently generates ENOENT, whether or not there is a
>> server on the network with that name, and mkdir(2), stat(2), and
>> chdir(2) with an argument of "//MACHINE" fail.
>
>That's certainly a hassle.  Let's not worry about going through
>zillions of lines of application code working around that
>incompatibility.  Let's get Cygwin fixed instead.

Cygwin has had this (windows) limitation since 1997.  I don't think
anyone is in a hurry to fix it.  It isn't trivial to do.  The
main thing that seems to be affected is "mkdir -p" so if we just
have to keep a localized patch for mkdir sitting around it seems
like that is our best option.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/