Subject: RE: Domain group doesn't work in cygwin
From: "Mastchenko, Cyrille" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Pierre A. Humblet'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: "Mastchenko, Cyrille" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:13:45 -0400

I just check,
What you name Computer_X is our domain name (a la netbios, pre windows
2000).
It's not a computer, it can't be ping ...

I will try your workaround.

Cyrille 

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Pierre A. Humblet [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Envoyé : 29 avril 2005 14:48
À : [email-masked]
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : RE: Domain group doesn't work in cygwin

On Apr 29 14:03, Mastchenko, Cyrille wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for Pierre and Corinna sugestion.
> I upgrade my cygwin to the last version yesterday (with a clean 
> reboot), I check my /etc/group, my group are in it.
> I am on a window server 2003, and my user and his group are defined in 
> the domain (another window server 2003 with ActiveDirectory)
>
> mind_mgr@bdmb5039 ~
> $ id
> uid=20238(mind_mgr) gid=10513(Domain Users) 
> groups=545(Users),10513(Domain
Users)

> This user should be in those domain groups too :
>
Grp_Data_5039_BOX-PROD_Read:S-1-5-21-1348827459-882799078-1539857752-8081:18
081:
>
Grp_Data_5039_BOX-PROD_Write:S-1-5-21-1348827459-882799078-1539857752-8082:1
8082:
> (we use group to give read or read/write access to data, and we want 
> to
use
> cygwin to be able to rsync/ssh from a unix computer)

So you are on Computer_A and the user is defined on Computer_B In
/etc/passwd, there is a line defining the user, with a computer name in it,
something like U-Computer_X\mind_mgr What is Computer_X?

What's probably happening is that Cygwin can't obtain the user's groups from
Computer_X What  "mkgroup -u -d Computer_X" produce?
Ditto "mkpasswd -u mind_mgr -d Computer_X"

Workaround:
Edit /etc/group and add user mind_mgr (and any others) at the end of lines
of the groups they should belong to but don't, e.g.
Grp_Data_5039_BOX-PROD_Read:S-1-5-21-1348827459-882799078-1539857752-8081:18
081:mind_mgr

The same result may be obtained by "mkgroup -u -l -d" (without domain name),
but that may give rise to a file that is very (and uselessly) large.

Pierre

======================================================================= 
Avis de confidentialité : 

L'information contenue dans ce message électronique ainsi que dans les
fichiers qui peuvent y être attachés est de nature confidentielle et
destinée à l'usage exclusif du destinataire. Si ce message vous est parvenu
par erreur ou que vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé, vous êtes par la
présente avisé que tout usage, copie ou distribution de l'information
contenue dans ce message est strictement interdit et vous êtes prié d'en
aviser l'expéditeur et de détruire ce message. 

Confidentiality Notice : 

The information in this e-mail or in any file attached thereto is
confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. If this e-mail is
mistakenly sent to you or if you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby advised that any use, copying or distribution of any information
contained in this message is strictly forbidden and you are requested to
inform the sender of such error and to destroy this message. 
======================================================================

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/