Subject: Help understanding process tree
From: Earl Chew <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:28:05 -0700

I'm working on a cygwin problem and have been looking at the Win32
process tree structure using Process Explorer from Sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

I'd like help understanding why Process Explorer shows cygwin
child processes as orphans, but win32 child processes as children.

How is this so?

For example, if I start bash, then start cmd /c dir, I will see:

bash
   bash
     cmd /c dir

My reading of the code is that the 2nd bash is the fork-stub that is
waiting for cmd to complete.

Now, if I start sleep 30, I will see:

bash
sleep 30

Earl

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/