Subject: Re: crash - cygheap - longjmp
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:33:16 -0700

Hans Horn wrote:

> c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe (1104): *** couldn't map space for new cygheap, Win32
> error 1455

$ net helpmsg 1455

The paging file is too small for this operation to complete.

> c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe (4060): *** couldn't create signal pipe, Win32 error
> 1816

$ net helpmsg 1816

Not enough quota is available to process this command.

> After that nothing helps but rebooting the machine.

You may simply be running out of page file, so try increasing its size.

Alternatively, this sort of thing seems to happen when there is some
kind of memory leak caused by third party software, usually stuff that
is related to networking.  Someone else recently found that their VPN
client was causing similar "Resource not available" errors during a
large build process.  A lot of these types of software install
themselves as shims into the winsock stack, and apparently leak handles
or memory badly in certain circumstances.

You should also try the latest Cygwin snapshot.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/