Subject: Again, XWin crashes with cigwin-1.5.15-1 on Win98.
From: "Rodrigo Medina" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:20:12 -0400

Hi, all
The XWin crashes that were cured with snapshot-20050407 reappeared with
cigwin-1.5.15-1. See
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-03/msg00158.html
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-04/msg00000.html
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2005-04/msg00024.html

Running XWin through gdb.

 $gdb XWin
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...(no debugging symbols found)

(gdb) run -multiwindow
Starting program: /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe -multiwindow
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.8.2.0-1

Contact: [email-masked]

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -multiwindow 

winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
(==) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TT
F/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,/usr/X11R6/
lib/
X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
winPrefsLoadPreferences: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: XWinrc loaded
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winSetEngine - Multi Window or Rootless => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per
pixel
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 800 height: 600 depth: 16
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16 bpp
16
null screen fn ReparentWindow
null screen fn RestackWindow
InitQueue - Calling pthread_mutex_init
InitQueue - pthread_mutex_init returned
InitQueue - Calling pthread_cond_init
InitQueue - pthread_cond_init returned
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to thread -46904803.0xffc16851]
0xbff7a606 in KERNEL32!Heap32ListNext ()
   from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/KERNEL32.DLL
(gdb)

---------------------------------------
This is what the alert window of W98 shows when the crash is produced
by shutting down the XWin server.

XWIN caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff87ed3.
Registers:
EAX=0181b074 CS=0167 EIP=bff87ed3 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=0181b35c SS=016f ESP=0181a0b0 EBP=0181b078
ECX=0181b024 DS=016f ESI=0181b29c FS=4707
EDX=0181b098 ES=016f EDI=0181b098 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
55 a1 e0 9c fc bf 8b ec 83 ec 6c 53 56 57 8b 30 
Stack dump:
ffecbad7 0181a0e0 0181a0c4 0000000e 00000007 c0000005 00000000 00000000
bff87ed3 00000002 00000001 0181a1b8 0001001f 00000000 00000000 00000000
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The XWin.log and cygcheck -s output are attached

As the problem is obviously related to  cygwin1.dll I am sending this
message to both mail lists.

Bye

Rodrigo Medina
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/