Subject: Re: Syslogd hangs on start
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:21:39 -0700

"Thompson, Lloyd D. (SSD)" wrote:

> $ net stop syslogd
> The service could not be controlled in its present state.
> 
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2189.
> 
> $ net helpmsg 2189
> 
> The service could not be controlled in its present state.

I do not know the root cause for why the service will not start, but
when it gets in this "hung" state you can unwedge it by killing the
cygrunsrv process.   This can get a little tricky because as a SYSTEM
account, it normally can't be killed with taskmgr.  I just use Process
Explorer which lets you kill any process, service or not.  Find the
cygrunsrv that corresponds with the stuck service (if you have more than
one, click on each and go to the "Services" tab to see which one is for
which service) and kill the stuck one.  Then windows should report the
service as stopped and you can try restarting it again after working on
the root cause.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/