Subject: Re: Mirror, Mirroring, Download, Downloading Cygwin Release Using rsync
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 03:05:35 -0700

L Anderson wrote:

> Initially I used --exclude but decided it was safer to ask for what I
> want rather than for everything but what I don't want. If a subdirectory
> that I don't want is added to the mirror, it gets downloaded until I
> discover it and change the --exclude to exclude it. The mirror's
> directory structure is more stable now than when I stared so it might
> not be such a problem, however, .....

You can do that too in a single pass:

mirror=mirrors.kernel.org
dir=sources.redhat.com/cygwin
dest=/d/cygwin-mirror
rsync -rlt $mirror::$dir/setup*\ $dir/release/ $dest

(The rsync man page covers specifying multiple sources in the section
'ADVANCED USAGE'.)

> I know, but then we wouldn't have all that nifty source code easily at
> hand to drive us crazy trying to figure out what it does :-) so that
> someday we might be able to contribute.

Of course.  I find having the source packages very handy.  But not
everyone has that need.  For anyone curious, the 2.7GB current total
breaks down to 1.2GB of binary packages and 1.5GB of source packages. 
You could fit a binary-only mirror on two CDRs, for example.  Though
these days DVD-Rs are so common that it may not be a concern.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/