Subject: Re: How well supported is csh/tcsh?
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:56:42 -0700

Jason Pearce wrote:

> o Do most new/upgraded packages work or do you always have to port setup
> scripts?

In this case it shouldn't matter.  All postinstall / preremove scripts
are intended to be run by (and are in fact run by) /bin/sh, aka ash,
regardless of what shell you choose as a user.  Now if you're saying
that you're going to remove ash then yes, expect a whole buttload of
stuff to break.  But if you just switch to tcsh as your default shell
but leave ash sitting around as /bin/sh, then everything should be
fine.  The same thing goes for scripts used by packages (for example
ssh-host-config) because they all reference /bin/sh or /bin/bash in the
shebang, and so as long as you don't do something silly like remove ash
or bash then you're fine.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/