Subject: Re: apache 1.3.33-1 - rebase problem still existing
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:38:02 -0700

Rainer Kirsch wrote:

> Which mechanism makes apache so sensitive to rebase(all)?

Because it uses dynamic modules that are loaded via dlopen().  Any
program in this situation will be sensitive to ImageBase issues.

> I also tried to start apache via cygrunsrv,
> but also with no success.

That is probably because you tried to start it from apachectl
previously.  You shouldn't do that.  Normally what happens is you try to
start Apache from your regular user account, which creates log files
under your account and permissions.  Then if you try to run it later as
a service, the SYSTEM account doesn't have the proper rights.  You
should try something along the following lines whenever trying to start
Apache as a service after previously starting it as a regular user:

for F in /var/log/apache.log /var/log/apache/{error,access}_log; do
    chown SYSTEM:root $F
    chmod 644 $F
done

You should also delete /var/run/apache.pid before starting the service
if it exists and has improper permissions, otherwise cygrunsrv can't
replace it.

You also have to make sure that all the necessary directories can be
read by SYSTEM.  This includes /var/www, /etc/apache/*, and so on. 
Traverse checking can be an issue here (but it's a nonissue for 1.5.15
and later.)

Finally, you should make sure that User is set to Guest (or whatever
unprivileged account you desire) and Group is commented out in
httpd.conf. 

> Sie erhalten weitere Hilfe, wenn Sie NET HELPMSG 3523 eingeben.

If none of the above did the trick, you are going to have to provide
more information.  All that says is that the service couldn't be
started.  You need to check for messages in the log files and in the
windows event log.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/