Subject: Re: cygwin on Mac: files in Virtual PC "shared folder"
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:02:29 -0700

Ashley Ward wrote:

> Because of these issues, my preferred solution would be to use Shared
> Folders -- if it worked, it'd be a lot simpler than Samba -- no
> separate server and configuration to worry about.  I might try
> following up the issue with MS VPC support in the newsgroup and then
> possibly through their email or phone support (although it seems I
> might have to give them a credit card number first! :<).

I know that this doesn't really address your question at hand... but if
I were in your situation I would look into just building a gcc/binutils
cross compiler toolchain.  Then you could run the build natively under
OS X, but produce win32 binaries.  You would still need VPC for testing
the binaries (I presume) but OS X should have enough unix under the hood
to host the build.

In fact the cygwin1.dll on your system right now was probably compiled
on linux, as some of the Cygwin developers (or at least cgf) use this
method.  (And I can understand why they do it, after I tried it myself
-- a linux hosted cross gcc runs the configure && make for the Cygwin
build about 2 to 3 times faster under linux on the same hardware
compared to win32.)

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/