Subject: cannot read any data from /dev/dsp
From: Axel Weiß <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:26:17 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to read audio data from /dev/dsp, as I usually do it under 
linux. It seems that the device is recognized (open succeeds), but no 
data arrive.

Did I miss to configure something? Any help would be very nice.

Here is (part of) the output of 'strace cat /dev/dsp':
  268   14563 [main] cat 2872 sigproc_init: process/signal handling 
enabled(1)
  199   14762 [main] cat 2872 build_argv: argv[0] = 'cat'
   59   14821 [main] cat 2872 build_argv: argv[1] = '/dev/dsp'
   37   14858 [main] cat 2872 build_argv: argc 2
  623   15481 [sig] cat 2872 wait_sig: myself->dwProcessId 2872
   69   15550 [sig] cat 2872 wait_sig: entering ReadFile loop, readsig 
0x70C, myself->sendsig 0x704
   73   15623 [main] cat 2872 build_fh_pc: fh 0x61800E4C
   50   15673 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::set_flags: flags 0x10002, 
supplied_bin 0x0
   39   15712 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::set_flags: O_TEXT/O_BINARY 
set in flags 0x10000
   35   15747 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::set_flags: filemode set to 
binary
   34   15781 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::init: created new 
fhandler_base for handle 0x62C, bin 1
  111   15892 [main] cat 2872 build_fh_pc: fh 0x61801054
   39   15931 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::set_flags: flags 0x10002, 
supplied_bin 0x0
   37   15968 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::set_flags: O_TEXT/O_BINARY 
set in flags 0x10000
   35   16003 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::set_flags: filemode set to 
binary
   35   16038 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::init: created new 
fhandler_base for handle 0x7F8, bin 1
69564   90404 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::open: ACCMODE=0x00000000 
audio_in=1 audio_out=0, err=0
  120   90524 [main] cat 2872 open: 3 = open (/dev/dsp, 0x10000)
   48   90572 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_base::fstat: here
   42   90614 [main] cat 2872 fstat64: 0 = fstat (3, 0x22EF40)
  116   90730 [main] cat 2872 readv: readv (3, 0x22EE20, 1) blocking, 
sigcatchers 0
   40   90770 [main] cat 2872 readv: no need to call ready_for_read
   41   90811 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::read: ptr=10013000 
len=1024
   39   90850 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::read: ptr=10013000 
len=1024
   38   90888 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::read: Allocating
  139   91027 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio::setconvert: none
 4548   95575 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::start: 0 = 
waveInOpen (rate=8000 bits=8 channels=1)
  161   95736 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio::queue::reset: 
InitializeCriticalSection
  153   95889 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013B68)
  473   96362 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013B68)
   77   96439 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013B88)
   99   96538 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013B88)
   63   96601 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013BA8)
   90   96691 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013BA8)
   62   96753 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013BC8)
   89   96842 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013BC8)
   61   96903 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013BE8)
   88   96991 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013BE8)
   75   97066 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013C08)
   88   97154 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013C08)
   68   97222 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013C28)
   88   97310 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013C28)
   68   97378 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013C48)
   86   97464 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013C48)
   65   97529 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013C68)
   90   97619 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013C68)
   65   97684 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013C88)
   87   97771 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013C88)
   64   97835 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013CA8)
   84   97919 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013CA8)
   66   97985 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInPrepareHeader (0x10013CC8)
   92   98077 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::queueblock: 0 = 
waveInAddBuffer (0x10013CC8)
  199   98276 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::init: 0 = 
waveInStart (), queued=12
   51   98327 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::read: 
pSampleData=10013000 nBytes=1024
   43   98370 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::waitfordata: 
100ms
100016  198386 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::waitfordata: 
100ms
100336  298722 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::waitfordata: 
100ms
100322  399044 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::waitfordata: 
100ms
100302  499346 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::waitfordata: 
100ms
100319  599665 [main] cat 2872 fhandler_dev_dsp::Audio_in::waitfordata: 
100ms
(infinitely)

uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 rantanplan 1.5.14(0.126/4/2) 2005-04-01 13:40 i686 unknown 
unknown Cygwin

Regards,

			Axel

(please cc me in your replies, since I'm not subscribed)

-- 
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Institut für Informatik
Signalverarbeitung und Mustererkennung
Dipl.-Inf. Axel Weiß
Rudower Chaussee 25
12489 Berlin-Adlershof
+49-30-2093-3050
** www.freesp.de **

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/