Subject: Re: libnet-pcap-perl ??
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:28:32 -0700

"Jacob Lane, MCP" wrote:

> Anyone ever used libnet-pcap-perl under Cygwin? I searched
> http://cygwin.com/packages/ but got nothing. I have Perl installed, but
> assume that I have to compile this lib myself.

It won't work without a lot of fussing.  It's not the perl module that's
at issue, it's winpcap.

All pcap programs expect the "libpcap" interface.  On windows this is
provided by winpcap.  Winpcap works well and is open source, and they
have a nice package you can download that contains the includes and
import libs that you would place in /usr/include and /usr/lib
respectively.  It also requires the actual winpcap driver installed, the
installer for which you download from the winpcap site as well.

The problem with all this is that the winpcap DLLs are compiled with
Mingw and depend on msvcrt, so if you want to use them with Cygwin apps
you have to recompile them to use cygwin1.dll.  If you don't do this,
the libpcap application (Net::Pcap in this case) will compile but fail
to run correctly.

I have done this in the past, and it amounts to some messing about but
nothing terribly hard to do.  I don't remember the details, sorry.  A
"libpcap-devel" would be a good package for Cygwin to have so that pcap
apps can be built, and I considered ITPing it at the time.  However, the
problem is that the actual pcap driver itself only compiles with MSVC
and requires its own special installation, given that it's an actual
windows driver.  So, I wasn't really sure how to handle the situation,
as regardless of how it was packaged it would still require a download
and install from the winpcap site of the driver file before anything
would work.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/