Subject: Re: Overriding the default HOME priority settings
From: Pat Cahalan <[email-masked]>
To: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:38:29 -0700

> IIRC $HOME is set in /etc/profile. You can easily change /etc/profile
> to do what you like. What I used to do is make one /etc/profile then
>  everybody symlinked to it.

Unfortunately, that won't work for us here, since Cygwin is primarily
used by CS people who want a UNIX environment on their laptop, without
giving up the native Windows installations.  VMWare and Linux isn't a
solution for everybody, since they also want a decent shell environment
in Windows (and let's face it the Windows command line lacks elegance).

Since the portables aren't always connected to the network (and
oftentimes are connected outside of our SMB/NFS export range when they
*are* on the network), they need to have a local $HOME, even when
they're logging into their portable using cached domain credentials.

> 2. Change the master /etc/profile to get/set $HOME from /etc/passwd 
> (that is the symlinked master /etc/passwd).

I'll have to have /etc/profile local to the machine in question, but to
clarify, this method will override the domain map as the "first preference"?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/