Subject: Re: More error level issues
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:20:34 -0800

AVT-Wien wrote:

> With cygwin1.dll version 1.5.13 exit codes to Windows (I use W2K and XP) have
> changed by a factor of 256 (shift of 8 bits) as mentioned in the 2 messages
> cited below. I have processes running under Windows shells that run several
> days, doing a lot of steps (both unix tools like gawk, head, sort etc. and gcc
> compiled c-programs) fully automatically. Flow control heavily relies on return
> codes (%errorlevel% in Windows). The codes were introduced according to the
> exit codes of the previous versions of the cygwin-libraries that put into
> %errorlevel% exactly what was provided by exit(). With the upgrade to 1.5.13
> the exit codes changed by a factor of 256, and since Windows XP uses 16 bit
> codes, are now limited to a maximum value of 255.

The change was reverted several weeks ago:
<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-03/msg00350.html>

> By the way, does anybody around know a workaround - or have an idea - how to
> get the exit codes stripped off the 8 least significant bits without changing
> the *.bat-files in Windows XP? And eventually even get back values higher than
> 255?

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here because there is no
such thing in unix as an exit value greater than 255.  After the
2005-03-08 revert (and prior to 1.5.13) you will never see an errorlevel
outside of the range 0-255 for a cygwin application that was called from
a windows app.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/