Subject: Re: Program launched under rxvt asks for user input in original prompt
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:40:29 -0800

Mikael wrote:

> Hello, a few days ago I got some help on this list to get rxvt (and also
> with emacs' shell mode) up and running and I love it! But today when trying
> out MySQL 5.0.3 beta that was just released, I noticed an annoying thing:
> I tried to start mysql command line shell by issuing (under rxvt):
> $ mysql -u root -p
> Now I am supposed to see the text "Enter password: " but nothing happened.
> Then I noticed that the text had appeared in the original prompt from where
> rxvt was launched. The command line utility mysqladmin, which I use to shut
> down the database, also behaves in this way. And trying to type the password
> in the original prompt (which is echoed in clear-text) does not work by the
> way.
> Have I encountered a bug here?

It's not a bug.  When you use rxvt/xterm Cygwin has to emulate a pty
(pseudoterminal) which is a unix concept that does not exist natively in
Windows.  Native windows apps such as the mysql binaries that you're
using often get confused by this, becase they only know about a Windows
console, which is probably why you saw the text on the original cmd.exe
prompt.

There is really no straightforward way to solve this.  You could compile
the mysql client binaries under Cygwin (I don't think the server works
yet...), or you could supply the password in ~/.my.cnf, or stick to
running them only in cmd.exe.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/