Subject: Re: Postgres 7.2
From: Zeb <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin List <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:53:45 -0800 (PST)

Larry -- You've partially diagnosed my problem for me.

Here's what's going on (in detail):

I've taken over admin on development (DEV) and production (PROD) boxes for 
a small website.  DEV is W2K and PROD is Linux.  The app running on the 
servers in Java-based, and it connects to a Postgres DB.

The PROD box (which is running fine) is running Postgres 7.2.

The DEV box WAS running fine, until I started up pg_ctl without first 
"ipc-daemon", resulting in 100% CPU utilization.  Thinking that there was 
something wrong with the installation (vim was broken, and I was getting 
some other strange behavior every time I typed a new command in the Cygwin 
command line) I decided to execute the setup.exe file, trying to be very 
careful not to over-write the Postgres 7.2 installation I had on DEV.

After having to go through the install process three or four times, the 
last time I accidentally over-wrote the 7.2 install I had on DEV with 
version 7.4.5-1.

But, since PROD is working fine (v. 7.2), I want to get DEV running again 
with the same (7.2) version.  Once that's done and I understand the setup 
in the DEV and PROD environments, I'll upgrade to more up to date 
version.s

I hope that better explains why I'm looking for version 7.2.  Any pointers 
on where to obtain it would be helpful.  I looked for the "Cygwin Time 
Machine", and while I found references, I can't find any working sites 
which have old tar.bz2 setup files for Cygwin.

Rgs,

Zeb

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Larry Hall wrote:

:At 10:15 PM 3/24/2005, you wrote:
:>I've taken over as admin on a box which is running Postgres 7.2 under 
:>Cygwin.  I seem to have a problem with the installation.
:>
:>I don't want to upgrade to the latest version of Postgres (7.4.5) until I 
:>can get the details of the current (7.2) installation sorted out.
:
:
:What details are that?  Does it work or not?  If it does and you don't
:want to upgrade, just make sure you don't inadvertently upgrade the next
:time you run 'setup.exe'.  If it doesn't work for you, there seems to be 
:little to loose by upgrading.  Anyway, the choice is yours but with the 
:description you've provided so far, it's not clear why you're asking the 
:question you're asking.
:
:
:>Can anyone tell me how I can go about obtaining the old, 7.2 version of 
:>Postgres?  I don't see it in the Cygwin setup.
:
:
:You might be able to find a stale mirror somewhere.  Or you can search 
:the email archives for the announcement of the "Cygwin Time Machine".  Be 
:aware though that this list does not support older versions of it's 
:packages.  So if you choose to go this route, you're on your own.  
:
:--
:Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
:RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
:838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
:Holliston, MA 01746                     

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/