Subject: Re: Mailing list confusion
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:06:30 -0800

Arend-Jan Westhoff wrote:

> How come when I look at
>         <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-03/index.html>:
> 
> I see the message:
>         March 24, 2005 07:32 Re: Path confusion Brian Dessent
> That message lists:
>         07:17 Path confusion Luke Kendall
> As its reference, but Luke's message has no Follow Up to Brian's?
> Also when I look at the thread index:
>         <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-03/threads.html>
> Luke's message is listed but Brian's is not.

I think you caught the ML archives page at a point at which it was
re-indexing.  Both URLs above display both messages with the correct
threading for me.

> An even stronger example:
> March 24:
>         06:15 Re: installing identical cygwin configurations on multiple systems
> fergus
> and March 23:
>         19:56 installing identical cygwin configurations on multiple systems Greg
> Vaidman
> Have neither a Reference nor a Follow Up to the other (though the thread
> index looks normal?).

The reply email did not contain a "References:" or "In-reply-to:"
header, so the archives did not know it was a reply.  Proper email
readers and archive software depend on one or both of those headers to
preserve threads.  Some brain dead email programs (cough Outlook cough)
instead just go by subject, and are too ignorant to add the headers that
preserve the threading.  That means that messages created in those
programs break threading in the archives, and those programs cannot cope
with threads where the subject is changed mid-thread.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/