Subject: Re: problems starting sshd - again
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:13:26 -0800

Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB wrote:

> I know this has been on the list previously, but I have searched the FAQ
> and recent archives and cannot find the relevant references. I have
> found some relating to permissions, but these don't address my issue.
> Anyway, my XP system died and I have had to re-install windoze. So as
> this was a fresh install I obtained a later version (1.5.12) of cygwin
> than the year or so old version I had. I had sshd working with the older
> version of cygwin but I do not want to regress that version. The new
> version of cygwin installed fine, I then executed

You should read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README for details on
sshd.  You will find the following passage:

If you start sshd as deamon via cygrunsrv.exe you MUST give the
"-D" option to sshd. Otherwise the service can't get started at all.

> $ ssh-host-config
> I responded 'yes' whenever prompted (later I tried without privilege
> separation with the same result)
> $ cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd.exe

You should let ssh-host-config install the service.  Your install
command above is wrong, you need "-a -D" to pass -D to sshd. 
ssh-host-config ought to take care of everything for you if you let it.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/