Subject: Re: fork error in Windows 2003 running as normal user
From: "Kris Thielemans" <[email-masked]>
To: "Gnuwin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Kris Thielemans'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:59:22 -0000

Corrado Labinaz <corradolab <at> virgilio.it> writes:

> I've installed latest (1.5.13) cygwin on Windows Server 2003.
> It works fine while logged on as Administrator.
> Launching Bash as a "normal" User give the following error:
> 
>       3 [main] bash 3252 fork_parent: child 3260 died waiting for longjmp
> before
>  initialization
> bash: fork: Bad file descriptor
> 

Hi

I have exactly the same under Windows XP Home sp2.

In fact, I had a lot of trouble to get cygwin to work earlier for non-admin
users on this machine. The permissions were always wrong (e.g. files in /bin
were only executable for administrators, files in "Documents and Settings"
were all owned by the administrator etc). I fixed all (?) that by using
chmod and chown and got it to work. Then I updated to the latest cygwin and
am stuck again. I still strongly suspect a permission problem, but cannot
find which one.

Some more info:

- going to a windows cmd prompt, cd \cygwin\bin, executing just bash, does
not give this error, but I'm still stuck with that error message when
running any executable e.g. ls

- from a windows cmd prompt, executing some other cygwin utilities gives the
following:
C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe (3876): *** could not load user32, Win32 error 1114

Win32 error 1114 is apparently
"A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

So, I checked permissions of user32.dll in c:\windows\system32. Weirdly
enough, all dll and exe there are listed as owned by adminstrators, and
rwxrwx---. That does not make any sense to me. Anyway, I tried then to chmod
+rx user32.dll (and some other dlls) but that didn't change the above error,
nor solve the problem.

- ssh non-admin-user@machine (e.g. when logged in as admin on machine) works
fine. I can then do ls etc without problems. (isn't that weird?)

- cygcheck -s as non-admin user says there are 2 cygwin1.dll in the path
(but both listed as .\cygwin1.dll). cygcheck -s as admin users does not
complain at all. and of course, I can find only 1 in c:\cygwin\bin anyway.
(Maybe this is because cygcheck has some problems? It obviously complains
about running id.exe for instance).

I've attached both cygchecks.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kris Thielemans
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/