Subject: Re: Cygwin Manpage problem
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:57:39 -0800

Alan Ning wrote:

> I've been having problem with Cygwin's manpages. I can't seem to find
> anything in there.
> 
> For example, if I typed "man printf", it will give me a blank page.
> If I typed "man pthread_create", I would get the no entry error.
> 
> How does cygwin's manpage work? Is something broken with my manpage?
> If so, what packages should I reinstall?

The output you're getting (or should be getting - it works for me) for
"man printf" is probably from coreutils, for the /usr/bin/printf binary
and not the system function.

Cygwin doesn't really have manpages for its system functions.  There is
some documentation from newlib that you can read with "info libc" and
the Cygwin users guide lists the functions that are implemented.  In
general though it's just doesn't exist because no one has written it.

Your best bet is to read the documentation of the IEEE/Posix standards
(opengroup.org / "Single UNIX Specification") and/or the manpages of
other unixes.  Linux/glibc, Freebsd, Solaris, etc. all have very
detailed manpages online.  You have to be aware though that each of
those can have extensions that are specific to that implementation
(notably glibc), so if in doubt about something, compare to SUS and
other unixes and choose the lowest common denominator.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/