Subject: Re: 1.5.13-1 rsync data corruption
From: Wayne Davison <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:45:47 -0800

[Please CC me on any replies -- thanks.]

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:20:57PM -0600, Keith Moore wrote:
> subsequent incremental backups fail on certain large files when
> compression (-z) is enabled.  So far, the problem only appears when
> making incremental backups of VMware virtual disk images. Note that
> these images are large (exactly 4G each)

There is a fix in the upcoming 2.6.4 for the -z option of rsync when
transferring large files (those whose blocksize go past 64K).  If you
can, build either the 2.6.4pre3 release (listed on the web site) or the
latest nightly tar file (which has a couple extra minor fixes in it):

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/nightly/rsync-HEAD-20050319-1628GMT.tar.gz

It is the sending side that needs to have this fixed version (if you
can't apply it to both sides).  I would appreciate knowing if that
fixes the problem for you.

..wayne..

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/