Subject: Re: MVFS owner/group & permissions
From: "Andrzej Ostruszka" <[email-masked]>
To: Igor Pechtchanski <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:11:45 +0100

On Mon, Mar 14 (2005), Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> First question: do you have both "ntsec" and "smbntsec" on?

Not until you've asked :).  I'm not sure where it should be set so I set
it in: Control_Panel->System->Advanced->Env_vars and I do see it in the
subsequent shell invocations:

aao014@aao014-01 ~
$ echo "->$CYGWIN<-"
->ntsec smbntsec<-

>                 If you *do* have it set, does Windows show different owner
> and permissions via pure Windows means (i.e., the "Advanced" security
> properties in Windows Explorer)?

Well, if I choose the Properties item in the Windows Explorer I've got
only two tabs: General and ClearCase and from the later I can view
ClearCase properties.  But what I'm really after is not in there.
I have to choose in Windows Explorer not Properties but
Clearcase->Properties of Element->Protection(tab) and in there I've got
owner, group and other with appropriate permissions.

> Basically, Cygwin can only do as much as the underlying Windows permits it
> to.  If the underlying Windows doesn't recognize MVFS owner and
> attributes, it's unlikely that Cygwin will.  If Windows does show the
> correct permissions and Cygwin doesn't (and "ntsec/smbntsec" are both on),
> it's probably a bug, and will have to be debugged/fixed (if it can't be
> reproduced by the Cygwin developers, you'll need to help in debugging it
> on your machine).

If I've set the ntsec and smbntsec correctly then I guess I've got no
chance to get what I wanted - am I right?

Is there a simple way to recognize the filesystem you're in?  That way
I could make a function that does normal ls and wraps e.g. the
"cleartool describe" command if inside of MVFS.

Will it be of any interest for the Cygwin to have some sort of plugins
(so that I can write some extension which will be used e.g. for deciding
the permissions of foreing filesystems).

Best regards
Andrzej

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/