Subject: Re: sshd.exe unable to locate ... cygcrypt-0.dll
From: Lester Ingber <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:49:11 -0800

Igor:

I believe I followed your instructions.

I noted that on both of my Thinkpad machines /bin had 755 permissions, 
so I changed them to 777 (though as I first mentioned only one machine 
has this sshd problem).  I note that the new sshd_config and ssh_config 
files do not differ.  (/sbin and /usr/sbin still have 755 permissions, 
and /usr/sbin/sshd.exe and /bin/cygcrypt-0.dll still have 777 
permissions -- on both machines.)

Upon rebooting I get the same problem described in my original email.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I note that in the Event Viewer on 
the troubled machine I see:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be found. 
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or 
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be 
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help 
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 
sshd : PID 2708 : Received signal 15; terminating..

(On a subsequent try I got the end of the same message reading:
sshd : PID 2708 : Received signal 15; terminating..
The PID of course changed, but so did the Received signal.)

Re your following email, I saw the bad line in the installed.db file on 
both my machines and deleted them.

At this time, ssh works fine from both machines, but sshd does not work 
on the troubled machine after bringing up a cygwin window and using 
`/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start`.  However, my real concern is the problem 
that every boot on the troubled machine is interrupted with the 
error/warning mentioned in my original email, requiring additional 
manual intervention to click away the warning/error.

Thanks.

Lester

       +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Lester,

Now that we've ruled out user mounts, one possible reason for your problem
could be the traverse checking in the new Cygwin DLL.  Run
/usr/bin/ssh-host-config again with the "-c 'ntsec notraverse'" flag.  If
this helps with your problem, check the permissions on /bin -- it should
at least be executable for everyone.  Once you do a "chmod a+x /bin",
rerun /usr/bin/ssh-host-config again and use the default value of CYGWIN.
	Igor

Lester Ingber 3/13/2005 1:41 PM:
> Igor:
> 
> I'm glad to attach the output of `cygcheck -s -v -r` as cygcheck.txt, 
> although it is long.  I think my description of the problem is about as 
> much as I know, but I'm glad to try to get any other suggested info.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Lester
> 
>       +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
> 
> Lester,
> 
> Please read and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines listed at
> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, particularly the bit about attaching
> (as an uncompressed text *attachment*) the output of "cygcheck -svr" on
> the machine that exhibits the problem.  It would be pretty hard to help
> you otherwise.
>     Igor
> 
> Lester Ingber 3/13/2005 8:30 AM:
> 
>> Under XP Pro I have all current cygwin components installed.  For 
>> about the last week ot so, every time I boot, *before* I even log in 
>> as any user, a warning window pops up with something to the effect in 
>> the title bar:
>> sshd.exe - Unable to Locate Component
>> and the window contains something to the effect:
>> The application has failed to start because cygcrypt-0.dll was not found.
>>
>> /bin/cygcrypt-0.dll does exists.
>>
>> I do not see any cygwin utilities in my startup folder and have not 
>> introduced an special .bat commands, etc.  I do not understand why any 
>> of these utilties are being loaded even before pulling up cygwin, much 
>> less before logging in.
>>
>> Three times I have Reinstalled all cygwin components that I think have 
>> reinstalled everything to do with ssh and crypt (the last time I even 
>> Reinstalled base), but nothing helps.
>>
>> I have cygwin on two Thinkpads/XP Pro, and only one machine is having 
>> this problem.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lester
>>
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/