Subject: Re: Problem with the "-r" test in Perl 5.8.6-4
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:17:40 -0800

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> I'm having trouble with Perl 5.8.6-4 under Cygwin 1.5.12.  Some perl
> script uses the "-r" test to chech whether a directory is readable.  It
> fails on the following directory:

For what it's worth I can't seem to observe this with a directory with
similar permissions:

$ perl -e 'exit !(-r $ARGV[0])' /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/sysinternals/
&& echo yep
yep

$ ls -ld /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/sysinternals/
drwx------+ 3 brian None 0 Mar  6 16:00 /cygdrive/c/Program\
Files/sysinternals//

$ getfacl /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/sysinternals/
# file: /cygdrive/c/Program Files/sysinternals/
# owner: brian
# group: None
user::rwx
group::---
group:root:rwx
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Users:rwx
group:Power Users:rwx
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user::rwx
default:group:root:rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Users:rwx
default:group:Power Users:rwx
default:mask:rwx

This is also with perl 5.8.6-4.

The only difference I can see in the getfacl output is that on yours,
the Users group has r-x, whereas on mine it's rwx.  I don't know how or
why 'w' permission on a directory would affect the "-r" test though. 
xcacls output below:

$ xcacls 'c:\Program Files\sysinternals'
c:\Program Files\sysinternals BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F 
                              BOOCH\brian:F 
                              CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F 
                              BUILTIN\Power Users:(OI)(CI)C 
                              NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F 
                              BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)R 
                              BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)F 
                              NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)F 
                              CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F 
                              BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special
access:)
                                            GENERIC_READ
                                            GENERIC_EXECUTE
 
                              BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)
                                            FILE_APPEND_DATA
 
                              BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(special access:)
                                            FILE_WRITE_DATA

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/