Subject: Re: types "quad_t" & "u_quad_t"
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:29:23 -0800

Linda W wrote:

> hmph...never heard of it (even though I have it installed (*doh!*))...
> Sure take alot more characters to get a simple hex & ascii side-by-side
> dump!   How am I gonna remember all that?  :-)  I often have to use
> the man page to figure out it's the "-C" option on hexdump to do that
> simple feat, but now I need to remember what?...egads!  Well if ya'll
> is happy with that, that's fine w/me.

Add the following to your ~/.profile then:

alias od="od -A x -v -t x1z"

Now you can type "od foo" and never have to remember the arguments.  If
you ever need to execute the "real" od without the added parameters you
can type "o\d" instead.

> Thanks for the edification...guess I'll just go 'od' some now...now
> that I think about it, "hexdump" was really too long and English-like
> to be a real unix util.  "od" fits right in with cp, ls, awk, dc, bc,
> etc.  :-)

That and the fact that "dump" was already taken as a name for a
completely unrelated utility.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/