Subject: Re: Bug diff 2.8.7: Separate dir
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:42:53 -0800

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> This part does sound like a bug.  Perhaps this diff optimization
> should be suppressed, since in cases like this, ./a and .\a have
> effectively different content.

If anything, you would want to just add a test to the stat-comparison
code to check that both files are opened in the same mode, text/binary. 
But really all that does is let you diff a file to itself, in which case
you know the result already, that every line differs because of
different line endings.  And I don't really see that being a useful
feature.

But really this is rather irrelevent because the diffutils maintainer
(cfg) has already said he has no intention to change diff to fix
improper use of it.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/