Subject: Re: Bug diff 2.8.7: Separate dir
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:12:12 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:

> Have attached a cygcheck, though I am afraid it's rather large.

As suspected, you have textmode mounts -- see Igor's response which was
spot on.  To summarize, using '\' as a path seperator bypasses all of
Cygwin's processing since it signals a native windows path/filename.  So
if you have textmode mounts and files with \r\n line endings, and only
one argument has a '\', then that file will not go through Cygwin's line
ending translation while the other will, and thus diff thinks every line
differs.  The solution is to use "--strip-trailing-cr" or alternatively,
either use a '\' in both arguments or not at all.  "It's Not A Bug It's
A Feature(tm)"

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/