Subject: Re: Keeping cygwin updated on remote systems
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:14:02 -0800

"DePriest, Jason R." wrote:
> 
> Remote Desktop is not available on them.
> 
> I can already use VNC tunneled through SSH to manually run setup.exe.
> 
> What I really need is a way to update the files that have changed and
> run the install scripts without running setup.exe.

You can google/search archives for "cygupdate" which is a set of tools
written by cgf that more or less performs the setup.exe tasks using a
set of sequestered utils (cygwin1.dll, gzip, bzip2, tar, perl, cygz.dll)
to perform the same tasks.  However, it's unsupported and you're likely
to encounter issues getting it to work seeing as the "upset" CVS dir
(containing the Setup.pm module) was removed from general availabilty. 
If you ask on the list for help in getting it to work you're likely to
invoke the "he's just mean" ire of Christopher. :-)

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/