Subject: Installing Perl modules with "perl -MCPAN -e shell;" fails with "02packages.details.txt.gz does not contain a Line-Count header"
From: Stephan Petersen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:26:01 +0100

Hi guys,

I updated my cygwin installation and obviously got a new Perl version, 
which means I need to reinstall a lot of modules again...

When I fire up
perl -MCPAN -e shell;
and for instance try to install Config::Inifiles, it fails with strange 
"02packages.details.txt.gz does not contain a Line-Count header" 
messages (see below).

Does anybody have similar problems?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Stephan

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell;

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support enabled

cpan> install Config::Inifiles
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
LWP not available
CPAN: Net::FTP loaded ok
Fetching with Net::FTP:
   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/source/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Going to read /home/sp/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
 
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/source/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Going to read /home/sp/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Warning: Your /home/sp/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz 
does not
contain a Line-Count header.
Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
happen.
Warning: Your /home/sp/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz 
does not
contain a Last-Updated header.
Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
happen.
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/source/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to read /home/sp/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
syntax error at (eval 32) line 1, near "package CPAN::Mn be u"
  at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm line 3406
         CPAN::Index::rd_modlist('CPAN::Index', 
'/home/sp/.cpan/sources/modules/0
3modlist.data.gz') called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm line 3129
         CPAN::Index::reload('CPAN::Index') called at 
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm
line 675
         CPAN::exists('CPAN=HASH(0x106aada0)', 'CPAN::Module', 
'Config::Inifiles'
) called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm line 1842
         CPAN::Shell::expandany('CPAN::Shell', 'Config::Inifiles') 
called at /usr
/lib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm line 2078
         CPAN::Shell::rematein('CPAN::Shell', 'install', 
'Config::Inifiles') call
ed at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm line 2165
         CPAN::Shell::install('CPAN::Shell', 'Config::Inifiles') called 
at /usr/l
ib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm line 201
         eval {...} called at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/CPAN.pm line 201
         CPAN::shell() called at -e line 1

cpan> quit
Lockfile removed.

-- 
Stephan Petersen [email-masked]

Visit GTT's Technical Thermochemistry Web Page at 
http://www.gtt-technologies.de/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/