Subject: Re: Linux Journal Cygwin article
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 00:58:08 -0800

Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> 
> Interesting article in Linux Journal on Cygwin:
> 
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8078

Unfortunately it's not written by someone very familiar with Cygwin. 
First these's this incorrect statement in the introduction:

"Cygwin does not enable your computer to understand UNIX signals,
pseudo-terminals (PTYs) and such; it only provides mappings of UNIX
actions to the Windows platform."

Perhaps he meant to say "it does not enable normal windows applications
to use signals and PTYs" but Cygwin most certainly supports them for
anything ported or compiled as a Cygwin app.

Then later on he advises on how to setup ssh manually, instead of just
running ssh-host-config which takes care of everything in one step.

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/