Subject: Re: odd behavior of symlinks on Win XP
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jan Hlavacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:01:56 +0100

On Jan 27 14:16, Jan Hlavacek wrote:
> I am not on the list, but I hope this will get through.  I came across
> this discussion while I was searching for an answer to similar problem. 

There are a couple of postings in the ML archives, all from this month,
which should explain the behaviour pretty well.  There's a patch in
current Cygwin CVS which should solve the icon problem.  But as soon as
you change the icon, the shortcut is changed by Windows in a way which
invalidates it as symlink for Cygwin.  That's nothing we can change
without breaking other things.  If you want to use a shortcut in Cygwin
and in native Windows, create it in Cygwin and don't touch it.

> [FAQ]
> Since version 1.3.0, Cygwin treats shortcuts as symlinks. "

I'll change the text in the FAQ.

Corinna

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          mailto:[email-masked]
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/