Subject: Re: Lynx - Unable to Shell
From: "Steven Read" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:08:53 -0500

Corinna,

Thanks very much for nailing this one. I had checked the environment
before posting my original message:

sread@topaz ~
$ set|grep SHELL
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:emacs:hashall:histexpand:history:interactive-comments:monitor

sread@topaz ~
$ /bin/bash

sread@topaz ~

What got me was that I had not done an export on any of the environment
variables. Pordon my ignorance but what did I miss here? On the Sun box
I use the environment variables from .profile (which does not exist in
Cygwin) are properly exported. Really I did read the FAQ. By the way
could I persuade you to release the API in PDF format?)

Steven Read - 812/237-3362 - [email-masked]
Indiana State University

>>> [email-masked] 01/25/2005 4:46 AM >>>
On Jan 24 22:58, Steven Read wrote:
> When I attempt to shell out from Lynx the message "Spawning your
default
> shell.  Use 'exit' to return to Lynx." flashes briefly but nothing
else
> seems to happen. Upon exiting Lynx after browsing the message
"Spawning
> your default shell.  Use 'exit' to return to Lynx." is visible
between
> the lynx command line and the most recent prompt line.
> 
> The uname command returns:
> 
> CYGWIN_NT-5.0 anon 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) 2004-11-10 08:34 i686 unknown
> unknown Cygwin
> 
> The version information for lynx is:
> 
> Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
> libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.7b
> Built on cygwin Aug 11 2003 22:59:49

Works for me.

Could you please check if $SHELL is defined, points to an existing
shell
*and*, that's important, is also in the environment?  Bash for
instance
defines $SHELL, but doesn't export it by default.  Calling `export
SHELL'
should help.

Corinna

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin
to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          mailto:[email-masked] 
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple 
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html 
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html 
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/ 

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/