Subject: Re: Multiple installations and 3PPs
From: Brian Dessent <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:23:53 -0800

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >If you want people to use mount, revise the documentation.  Either make
> >the statement explicitly and provide an example, or explain the
> >workings of cygwin mounts and how cygwin "starts" clearly enough that
> >readers can deduce for themselves that mount can be used.
> 
> What documentation suggests that you should be modifying the registry
> rather than using mount?  I'd be happy to change it.

How about a FAQ entry along the following lines:

How do I save, restore, delete, or modify the Cygwin information stored
in the registry?

Currently Cygwin stores its mount table information in the registry.  It
is recommended that you use the 'mount' and 'umount' commands to
manipulate the mount information instead of directly modifying the
registry.

To save the mount information to a file for later restoration, use
"mount -m > mounts.txt".  To remove all mount information use "umount
-A".  To reincorporate saved mount information use "eval mounts.txt".

Brian

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/